Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, or RTF, of PDF document file format.
- The date and status of the submission/revision are noted on the document. For example: Initial submission: June 5, 2018. Revision according to peer reviewers' comments: June 20, 2018. Comments on copyedit: June 25, 2018, etc.
- For submissions that include references, in-text citations and the reference list adhere to the AUTHOR-DATE format of The Chicago Manual of Style. Where available, DOIs (or URLs) for electronic references have been provided.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed. This includes removing all instances of the author(s) name from the manuscript AND removing author attribution from the "properties" of files. Please click on the link "Ensuring a Blind Review" when uploading your paper for more details.
- All author guidelines have been followed.
Atlantis considers original, unpublished scholarly research in the field of critical studies in gender, culture and social justice. Articles must be 7,000 words or less (including references). Suitable papers will undergo double-blind peer review.
Atlantis accepts submissions of literary work related to critical studies in gender, culture and social justice. Poems must not exceed two pages; short stories and creative nonfiction must not exceed 3,000 words. Literary submissions are reviewed by our Editorial Board.
Atlantis invites reviews of books related to our Calls for Papers or related to critical studies in gender, culture, and social justice more generally. This includes both scholarly and literary books. We consider reviews of single books as well as “review essays” of multiple, related books. In general, books must be recent (published within one year of the review request) or forthcoming. We are particularly interested in reviews of books by Canadian authors and publishers.
We publish critical book reviews. We do not publish descriptive reviews (summaries) or editorials. Critical book reviews explore how well the author achieves their stated purpose; strengths and weaknesses of the book; and how the book fits into the larger literary genre or academic field. See: Critical Book Reviews (Queen's University) for further guidance.
Reviews should be under 1000 words. Exceptions can be made for reviews of multiple books.
To propose a book review and/or request a review copy of a book, please contact Katherine Barrett (Managing Editor): firstname.lastname@example.org
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication, with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors are aware that articles published in Atlantis are indexed and made available through various scholarly and professional search tools, including but not limited to Erudit.
3. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
4. Authors are permitted and encouraged to preprint their work, that is, post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process. This can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Read more on preprints here.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.